NIFA gathers stakeholder input and information to identify priorities for new grant programs and/or to modify priorities for existing grant programs, as described in their Requests for Applications (RFA). A stakeholder is anyone who conducts or uses agricultural research, education, and extension. Input is used to meet the requirements of the Agricultural Research, Extension, and Education Reform Act of 1998.
NIFA gathers input from any individual, and specifically from commodity groups, industry, inter-agency Federal work groups, the National Academy of Sciences, non-governmental organizations, scientific societies, and university partners.
Stakeholder input is obtained in several ways. Input is solicited in all NIFA RFAs. NIFA also conducts stakeholder listening sessions or workshops, some as stand-alone events, some in conjunction with national scientific meetings. NIFA staff also gathers stakeholder information from other government and private sector events and publications.
Stakeholder Input Sources: Technology & Engineering
- Presentations from Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department Heads Meetings, USDA/NIFA headquarters, January 25 – 27, 2011
- Presidential Priority for 2009: American Competitiveness Initiative
- A Science Roadmap for Agriculture, Update 2006,National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant College (NASULGC) and Experiment Station Committee on Organization and Policy (ESCOP). Discussion of the scientific feasibility to meet the needs of diverse groups of stakeholders.
- A Science Roadmap for Agriculture Survey, May 2005, National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant College (NASULGC) and Experiment Station Committee on Organization and Policy (ESCOP). Survey of diverse stakeholder groups to develop the priorities for the next five years.
- A Vital Competitive Grants Program in Food, Fiber, and Natural-Resources Research, National Academy Press. National Research Council summary of the creation and progress of the USDA NIFA National Research Initiative Competitive Grants Program.
- Agriculture and Food Research Initiative Stakeholder Hearing Transcript - Hearing held on September 10, 2008 at the NIFA Waterfront Building.
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. Philanthropic nonprofit institution established to advance science and technology.
- BFRDP Stakeholder Input Meeting. Transcript of stakeholder hearing on the Beginning Farmer and Ranchers Development Program (BFRDP) held on October 27, 2008 in Washington, DC.
- Engineering Solutions for Specialty Crop Challenges: Workshop Report. Summary of the findings from the 2007 workshop.
- Forestry Research Advisory Council. Report to the Secretary of Agriculture.
- National Agricultural Research, Extension, Education, and Economics Advisory Board. Organization contributing to effective federal agricultural research, education and education programs through broad stakeholder feedback and sound science in its ongoing role as advisor to the Secretary of Agriculture.
- The National Nanotechnology Initiative. Supplement to the President's FY 2007 Budget.
- The National Nanotechnology Initiative at Five Years: Assessment and Recommendations of the National Nanotechnology Advisory Panel. Summary of the findings from the first five years of the National Nanotechnology Initiative.
See all stakeholder input pages