Interim Administrative Guidance for Multistate Extension Activities and Integrated Research and Extension Activities
The National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) is issuing a revised Administrative Guidance for Multistate Extension Activities and Integrated Research and Extension Activities as interim with a 60-day comment period. The Administrative Guidance has been revised to address the findings and recommendations of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Office of Inspector General (OIG) Audit Report no. 13001-3-Te: “Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service’s Implementation of the Agricultural Research, Extension and Education Reform Act of 1998 (AREERA),” and to clarify policies and procedures associated with these requirements. Section 105 of AREERA amended the Smith-Lever Act to require that a specified amount of agricultural extension formula funds be expended on multistate extension activities. Section 204 of AREERA amended the Hatch Act and Smith-Lever Act to require that a specified amount of agricultural research and extension formula funds be expended on integrated research and extension activities.
1. Interim Administrative Guidance published in Federal Register (August 12, 2010)
2. Revised Reporting Forms:
a. Supplement to 5-Year Plan of Work (NIFA-PLAN July 2010)
b. Supplement to Annual Report of Accomplishments and Results (NIFA-REPT July 2010)
c. Establishment of FY1997 Baselines (NIFA-BASE July 2010)
d. Establishment of Target Percentages (NIFA-TARG July 2010)
e. Request for Waiver from Target Percentage (NIFA-WAIVER July 2010)
3. 1997 Baseline Allocation Data table
4. Responses to Frequently Asked Questions (Updated 9/23/10)
5. Powerpoint presentation from 8/16/10 and 9/1/10 conference calls
6. Submit comments, due 10/12/10
- Go to www.regulations.gov
- Search for Document ID: NIFA_FRDOC_0001-0015
- Identify comments by Docket Number 2010-0025
7. Correction and Clarification on Interim Guidance as published in Federal Register
- Correction in the Interim Administrative Guidance. There is a correction in Part B of sections III, IV and V of the Interim Guidance. The Interim Guidance currently states that the form NIFA-TARG (Rev. 07/2010)) is due to the NIFA Formula Grants Section, Awards Management Branch, by April 1st each fiscal year and should complement the 5-Year Plan of Work. This should actually be the NIFA-REPT Form (Rev. 07/2010). This error will be corrected in the final administrative guidance.
- Clarification on the NIFA-PLAN (Rev. 07/2010) form due date. Please submit the NIFA-PLAN form annually on April 1 each year. For example, the NIFA-PLAN for FY12 planned activities will be due on April 1, 2011.
Email address for questions: email@example.com